Loading
Google+ Page

#64 - DON'T FEED THESE FOODS TO YOUR DOG

    • Healthy, happy canines are such a wonderfully rewarding part of any family. Besides lots of cuddles and exercise, their diet is really important. I advocate a raw diet for dogs as much as possible, but please keep in mind that there are some foods we should never (or rarely, and in small amounts) give our fur babies...
    • 1.
      1. Chocolate - caffeine, theophylline and theobromine can be toxic to dogs, my vet once told me dark chocolate is worse than milk chocolate.
    • 2.
      1. Corn on the cob - the corn gets digested but the cob can block the dogs intestine.
    • 3.
      1. Grapes and raisins - grapes contain a toxin that can cause severe liver damage and kidney failure.
    • 4.
      1. Macadamia nuts - can cause weakness, panting, swollen limbs and tremors.
    • 5.
      1. Onions, garlic and chives - in any form ie raw, cooked, dry, powdered. They contain disulfides and sulfoxides which can cause anaemia and damage red blood cells.
    • 6.
      1. Xylitol - a sugar alcohol used to sweeten foods - even small amounts can cause low blood sugar, seizures, liver failure, and death. It is 100% safe for humans, and has beneficial effects such as reducing dental caries.
    • 7.
      1. Yeast - on its own or in dough - mild cases will cause gas, wind and discomfort, too much can rupture their stomach and intestines.
    • 8.
      1. Cooked bones - can easily splinter and get caught in their digestive tract, raw bones are fine.
    • 9.
      1. Citrus stems, fruit, peel, oils - can cause vomiting in significant amounts.
    • 10.
      1. Avocado - the skin, stem, seed and fruit contain PERSIN, which can cause vomiting, and diarrhoea.
    • There are many other foods that may be a problem but mainly in large quantities or if regularly consumed. Keep in mind a small breed or puppy would be especially at risk due to reduced body size. They would concentrate these compounds more due their reduced body mass.
  • Share Page