#26 - THE SUGAR BOOM AND SUGAR...
- When we eat sugar or white flour "high glycemic" foods, our blood sugar levels rise rapidly.
- The release of insulin is accompanied by the release of another molecule called IGF (insulin-like growth factor). IGF stimulates cell growth; sugar feeds tissues and makes them grow faster - add insulin to this mix, and you have one powerful inflammatory, cell growth stimulating, fertilizer for tumors.
- Research has now shown that the peaks of insulin and the release of IGF "directly stimulate not only the growth of cancer cells but also their capacity to invade neighbouring tissues" (Dr David Servan-Schreiber, Anti- Cancer, A new way of Life, 2010).
- If you want to protect yourself from cancer, you should seriously reduce the amount of sugar and processed grains you consume. This means sugar of all colours and consistency (eg brown, raw, honey, high fructose corn syrup), and white bread, most breakfast cereals, white rice, muffins, bagels, fruit juice etc.
- Again, I highlight the benefits of a Mediterranean diet - olive oil, nuts and seeds, legumes, fresh fruit and vegetables, good quality red wine (small amounts and with food), small amounts of lean, pasture fed meat, and oily fish. The anti-cancer diet should also include a healthy dose of the Indian spice turmeric, and Japanese sencha green tea. Cruciferous vegetables such as bok choy, cabbage, broccoli, Asian mushrooms, and lots of garlic and herbs on everything!