#24 - THE 2 DAY DIET FOR WEIGHT LOSS AND OTHER HEALTH BENEFITS
- Professor Dr Harvie, a research dietician and Professor Howell, a Prof in Medical Oncology, are based at the University Hospital of South Manchester (UK). As part of their ongoing breast cancer prevention program, they have spent several years researching and developing the optimal diet that would help patients lose weight quickly and easily, and keep it off.
In clinical trials people on the 2 Day Diet had a remarkable 65% success rate of losing weight (conventional daily kJ controlled diets have a success rate of between 20-40%).
- Followers of the 2 day Diet lost twice as much fat ( and almost twice as quickly) and more cm around their waist than those on a continuous kJ controlled diet. They were also much more likely to keep off the weight they had lost.
- Other benefits found in this study as well as other studies on intermittent fasting include reduced risk of breast cancer, heart disease, stroke, and diabetes. Insulin-like growth factor (IGF-1) has been shown to markedly decrease, and this is important as IGF-1 is implicated in colon, breast and prostate cancers.
- Key features of the 2 Day Diet include:
On 2 non-consecutive days / week, dieters control their carbohydrate and kJ intake (for women 2100kJ, for men 2500kJ - about a quarter of the recommended daily kJ intake). Protein (eg nuts, meats, eggs, legumes) , healthy fats (eg avocado, coconut oil, nuts and seeds), and vegetables can be consumed.
On non-restricted days dieters eat normally and sensibly, keeping within existing kJ intake guidelines and ideally eating a healthy Mediterranean type diet.
- Sounds safe, sensible and easy to follow - I think the potential problem with the 2 Day Diet would be people going "crazy" on the non-restricted days and over-eating or eating too many processed carbohydrates. Also, I NEVER underestimate the benefits of regular exercise - psychologically and physically it wins hands down as the most effective and beneficial thing we can do for ourselves.