Common health problems in men include:
Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH) is a benign enlargement of the prostate gland, that can cause problems with urination. This includes frequent urination, weak flow, and difficulty completely emptying the bladder.
In Germany, a standardised extract of the herb, Saw Palmetto, is prescribed in 90% of all cases of enlarged prostate. Nettle root and flaxseed meal are also helpful. Nutritionally, zinc and essential fatty acids are recommended.
As initial symptoms of BPH can be similar to prostate cancer, it is essential men go to their GP to be tested. For information see Cancer Support.
- ERECTILE DYSFUNCTION
Impotence can be caused by psychological or physical problems, or a combination of both. Stress, depression, or conditions which affect blood flow to the penis - hardening of the arteries, high blood pressure, high cholesterol - are the most common factors. Some pharmaceutical medications may also cause erectile dysfunction (check with your pharmacist, naturopath, or GP).
- Lifestyle measures such as maintaining a healthy weight range, not smoking, minimising alcohol consumption, getting regular exercise, and optimal energy levels, may all contribute to healthy sexual functioning. The herbs, Korean Ginseng, Damiana, Tribulus, and Ginkgo are traditionally used to help impotence. The nutrients that may be helpful include B vitamins, and Magnesium, while homoeopathic remedies and counseling, can address underlying emotional issues. Check out the Low Testosterone self-assessment.
- Male factor infertility contributes to as many as 68% of infertility cases. In about 60% of infertile men, no cause is found for low sperm counts or poor production of sperm.
- The causes of male sub-fertility include:
- Hormonal problems
- Sperm production problems
- Blockage of sperm transport
- Sperm antibodies
- Sexual problems
- Sperm Analysis - we recommend couples use an IVF/Fertility Lab for
- Unknown causes - toxicity, radiation, poor nutrition, social poisons
(e.g. alcohol, caffeine, cigarettes)
- Nutritional Therapy and Herbal Medicine for Sperm Health and Optimal Male fertility is available. Our Naturopaths can explain the best forms to take and the right doses needed to achieve therapeutic levels. Not all nutrients are needed by all men all of the time. An individualised protocol is the best approach.
- Our Naturopaths are experienced in formulating Herbal Medicines for each patient's needs. We use the highest grade Herbal Medicines available from our extensive dispensary at the practice.